Thursday, April 20, 2006

Auntie

Had a nice surprise late this morning in the form of a phone call from cuarentayuno who was in town for a doctor’s appointment and wanted to know if he could buy me lunch. Well, no McPolack says no to a free lunch and certainly not when it is with as stellar a fellow as c.

After an embarrassing several minutes on the phone trying to give him directions (I have no sense of direction, and neither does c) he announced he was in the square near my house. I told him I’d meet him on my front lawn.

As I was waiting I saw a skinny fellow with dark hair approaching. He looked like an EMO outcast from afar, or maybe a hipster alien, and he seemed to be smiling at me. I stopped looking at him, stepped into my driveway and turned my back as he got closer, so I wouldn’t have to make eye contact or, god forbid, talk to the strangepork. But then the strangepork spoke.

Well, wouldn’t you know it, it was c. He was looking a bit gaunt due to not having eaten much over the past few days, and had feathered Farrah hair and some ginormous smoky sunglasses. The combo sunglasses/Farrah hair look was reminding me of someone, and that someone wasn’t a male. At first I though he had a real Julia Child look going but I realized I only thought this because I’d finished an excellent book of hers just the night before. But he was still reminding me of someone…who could it be?

…then it hit me: Aunt Barbara! Cuarentayuno looked like my crazy Aunt Barbara, who I haven’t seen since dinner-plate-sized smoky eyeglasses and feathered bangs were popular.

Anyways, his look was working for him, and that’s all that counts. We had sandwiches at Orleans and then I picked up my laptop and we headed to Diesel, where I am now sitting, alone again with my laptop as c has headed back to the hills of New Hampshire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home