Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Two old men, one young woman, and the sea: Part II

So the last time I went fishing with PP and D I threw up twice; it was the first time I'd been seasick in my life (and I've been on boats before). I blamed it on riding on the wee unpadded bench spanning the bow of the boat for pretty much the entire two hours it took us to get out to the fishing grounds, in seas that were three to five feet. This time it would be different!

I rode in one of two twirly seats next to D as he piloted the boat. Though the seas were supposed to be one to three feet, they were three to five in places -- a lot of places. And possibly even five to seven but I could be exaggerating. The twirly seat mid-boat was a better choice than the wee bow bench but not by much. My center of gravity felt really off and there wasn't much to hold onto so I ended up with one leg wrapped around the pole holding up the seat, the other barely hooked onto a shelf to my left, one arm up and holding an aluminum pole supporting the canopy and the other arm trying to get a grip on the hatch that led below deck. For more than hour. While being jerked up and down and all around by the choppy water. And we were riding in the troughs of the waves instead of straight through them.

I think PP could tell by the expression on my face that I was a little wigged out but I told him I was OK and smiled, albeit with gritted teeth. I held out for as long as I could before requesting a pee break...

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FREE CHUM!



sorry.

9:54 PM, August 26, 2008

 
Blogger McPolack said...

joe this is, I am sure, obvious to all who know you, but you would fit right in on a fishing boat full of old men.

9:53 AM, August 27, 2008

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am wearing old spice right now.

seriously.

10:35 AM, August 27, 2008

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Well of course you are.

11:25 AM, August 27, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home