Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Bear Grylls

I spent some time trying to come up with a post on how I feel about this fellow, but then I realized a recent e-mail conversation with my friend Heidi sums it up real nice. (I should note that I thought of Heidi not because she drinks her own pee but because she too is fascinated by the BG.)

From: McPolack
To: Heidi
Subject: I could hardly Bear to watch...

I thought of you last night when I turned on Man vs. Wild and Bear was eating a beetle, spitting the beetle out, squeezing the guts out of a pretty big grub, then eating the grub, all within the first 10 minutes.

THEN he caught a skunk in a snare trap and I had to change the channel...because people sometimes keep skunks for pets like kitties. And because it was alive for quite a while before he finally killed it. Yipes.

This was followed by bashing a rattlesnake's head in and then chopping the head off...then skinning and gutting the snake and eating it (cooked...it was a regular gourmet meal!) and then the piece de resistance: He peed into the snakeskin, looped it around his neck and took off into some salt flats. When he got thirsty enough, drank his pee -- mixed with snake goo -- from the snakeskin -- splashing a bunch of it all over the place.

Oh also he got stung by a bee and his face swelled up something fierce. Which I think was retribution for killing that poor skunk.

Dang!


From: Heidi
To: McPolack
Subject: I could hardly Bear to watch...

Yeah, I saw part of that episode, too. The skunk was pretty nasty. It didn't even sound tasty. (He does sometimes eat things that look tasty -- I watched him cook a turtle in its shell on an open fire, then eat the turtle meat sprinkled with some grapefruit that he had found. That actually looked good. The eviscerated grub did not. Neither did the sheep eyeball that he boiled in volcanic water in Iceland. He should have stopped with the mutton that he had cooked in the same way.)

Anyway, I'm sure his wife was not pleased when he made it back home. "Cor, blimey! You're sleeping outside!" (Actually, I'm sure his fellow passengers were not all that happy, either. He probably sat with the luggage.)

I didn't see him whip it out though -- which I'm sure he did on camera in order to pee into the snakeskin. That boy is an exhibitionist. Once he whipped it out only 6 min into the episode. That was a record, I think. But it isn't the 1st time he's imbibed his own urine. If I were his wife, I'd make him use a whole bottle of Listerine before he puckered up anywhere near me! Blech.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

bear grylls is a complete wuss and les stroud would eat him for breakfast.

i would love to see a real showdown there. if survivor (which i love) wants ratings in the next few years, they should arrange that face-off.

9:35 PM, August 12, 2008

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Les Stroud would kick Bear's ass. and Les actually stays where he's supposed to be surviving, where as Bear, I heard, actually sleeps in hotels along the way.. that Brit just irritates the shit out of me!

8:44 PM, August 13, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home