Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Underground

I discovered another secret passageway at the LNFU while trying to make my way back from one office to another, after having been shown a different path that required unlocking a door for which I do not have a key.

Yet.

Anyhoo, I decided to try an unmarked, unassuming door and ended up in an anteroom which led to what I think must be a paleontologist's lab given the various and sundry bones scattered about. There was a woman working in a small room off to the right who didn't even notice me, but I decided to tell her who I was and why I was there.

(When I was younger I might not have but these days I hardly do any exploring at all without permission. I just have this sense that I'm in a place where I have the wrong amount of wrinkles to get away with things. Although I was talked into walking right up to a giant white windmill on the North Shore on Sunday, and then tilting at it, by Walnut.)

The woman wasn't super-welcoming but she did show me how to get where I needed to go, which involved going in the basement, and through a hall lined on one side with what looked to be corals and other bone-y things from the sea. The other side was taken up with wooden cabinets, each with a handwritten tag reading "unknown fish" and said fish's country of origin.

In what I am discovering is part and parcel for the LNFU,when I opened the door at the other end of the fishie room I ended up in a completely different space, in feel, decor, and century. This time it was an office, complete with industrial carpeting and conference-room-style furniture.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i would never work. i would just explore all day long. getting lost on purpose. and then if someone 'questioned' me, i would just say, 'oh, i'm sorry...i thought...' and make up something. playing dumb, especially, if you play nice and helpless and dumb, can win people over pretty quick.
-heidi

9:32 AM, January 20, 2011

 
Blogger McPolack said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

8:28 PM, February 01, 2011

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Heidi, this was my thought pattern after reading your comment:

"How is it that you have bigger balls than me?

Oh yes, that's right, you used to crack peoples' chests open with a rib spreader as part of your job."

11:30 PM, February 01, 2011

 

Post a Comment

<< Home