Monday, January 09, 2006

Drunk Tales

Some interesting shit is hitting the fan in the life of addiction memoirist James Frey, who wrote A Million Little Pieces, a book so graphic in its descriptions of the places addiction can take you that it defies superlatives. It was also an Oprah's book club pick. I found the article very interesting as 1. I have read the book and 2. I am an addict and have been to some pretty hairy places both inside and outside of myself.

Frey's book freaked me out a bit, as addiction memoirs tend to do. It reminded me why I can't ever drink again, or smoke a doobie, or make myself throw up. (In case you're wondering, yes, it's because it can kill you, but also because the killing can be slow, and terrible beyond your imagination, and you can take other people, sometimes lots of them, with you.)

I believed what Frey had to say at the time. Now, he's looking a little Jayson Blair to me. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Oh, and if you're looking for a good -- and true, at least to my knowledge, addiction memoir -- my favorite is Drinking: A Love Story by Caroline Knapp.

3 Comments:

Blogger K said...

Yeah, I'll be watching this James Frey thing too. Any interview with him I've read he comes across like a cocky ass, so I can't say I'm not feeling a slight twinge of glee that he's a semi fraud. And the JT Leroy thing is heating up to be the great literary fraud of our time.
I liked the Knapp book too. A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill is another good one.

7:49 PM, January 09, 2006

 
Blogger Teri said...

WOW. I haven't read the book, but I feel as if I have after reading one page of the TSG article (which I'm eager to finish when the baby is napping!). I do find it interesting the fuss that O made over it initially and wonder how she will address the allegations.

12:30 PM, January 10, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

k, I've read about the JT Leroy thing as well -- life remains quite interesting. And I will check out the Pete Hamill - I think I actually had it a few years ago but never got around to reading it and then it disappeared.

teri, I know, isn't it crazy? What's also interesting about the article is there's a sliiiiiiiiiight twinge of jealousy on TSG's part around James Frey's ability to hook chicks with his words. Good stuff.

9:02 PM, January 10, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home