Monday, June 30, 2008

Anniversary

Today marks one year since Babcia died. In her honor, a story: Babcia loved strawberries, which appeared in her neck of the woods in June, also the month in of her birth. She planted them for a time in the garden just outside the kitchen, not three feet from the house, so she could walk out the door, bend over and start snacking. As she went everywhere barefoot, during one of her hospital visits PolackPappy was scolded about the state of feet. But then Babcia chimed in about her podiatric predilection. She preferred to feel the dirt between her toes.

I bought some local strawberries yesterday in honor of Babcia. I did not, as she often did, eat so many that I broke out in hives, but as I popped each one into my mouth, I thought of her.

I miss you, lady.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes, eating strawberries is the only thing you can do. I'm sure she knows and tastes each one with you.

10:59 AM, July 01, 2008

 
Blogger Overmatter said...

That's a lovely tribute.

Will you dedicate Wednesday's FoB to her? From what I've heard, it seems like the kind of show that would have tickled her fancy.

12:47 PM, July 01, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home