Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Emergency response

I walked right by this on my way to the office today, which happens to face South Station. Honestly, my first thought when I popped up from the subway and saw the line of fire trucks, ambulances, police cars, and news vans-and heard the helipcopters flying overhead-was, "are they doing some sort of live test?" I wasn't too worried.

Of course, I absolutely wanted to know for sure what was going on. I always want to know what's going on. Because I'm nosy. And I come from a long line of journalists. So I asked a couple of maintenance guys who were standing on the sidewalk, and one of them told me about the train accident. Then I was frightened, for the people onboard. I'm glad nobody was seriously injured.

On my way home I walked by those same maintenance workers. When I smiled at them, one of them said "We don't stand out here all day. We do actually work. I swear."

"Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure," I replied.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home