Sunday, February 26, 2012

Post notes 1

I had an interesting morning last week and I emailed myself the following as a reminder:
nantucket lightship
building w/downstairs room restrooms plus observation deck and weird room
people on train
whixit


I'll start with "people on train". On my subway ride to the LNFU following a meeting near the harbor, a middle-aged chunky white woman with medium-length brown hair started a panhandling spiel employed by drug addicts. Hers was a bit different from one I'd heard before; she said she needed four dollahs to get some food at McDonald's because she was stahving and could anyone spare fifty cents.

Now I know that when you assume you make an ass out of you and me, but I was pretty sure this woman wasn't stahving, and I will refrain from saying perhaps she was a bit peckish because that is too mean. Anyway, I wasn't going to give her any money, but I did rifle through my bag because I had several pieces of fresh fruit in there, and I thought perhaps I would offer her an apple.

While I was rifling through my bag a young non-white man to my left called her over and she said "ya got fifty cents?" and he said "here's a dollar" and gave it to her. Then a young non-white woman to my right gave her fifty cents. Everybody else on the train, including me, ignored her. She got off at the next stop, presumably so she could hassle people in another car.

I told the guy to my left that what he'd done was very nice, and he said thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home