Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reading

I've been doing a fair amount of reading these days. The NYer had a fawning review of a book of collected essays by a gentleman born a year after me, and the article talked about how we're in a sort of golden age of essays. And I thought: I missed the boat on that one, big time. And I felt: jealous, and disappointed in myself.

Then I requested the book from the LNFU and gave it a read. It was pretty good. It's some of the best writing I've read in a while - a mix of pop-culture references and feelings, but with the addition of multiple literary references-a Polish poet here, a bible verse there-and a mature and unique voice that is certain but uncertain at the same time, and OK with both.

I had been expecting uber-manly or at the very least super-egotistical, seeing as how the magazine article had lauded the author as the next Tom Wolfe. But this guy doesn't come across as an asshole. Though maybe that happens over time? I don't know. Anyway, I'm glad I read it.

I then moved on to a book about a taxidermist, which I'm reading right now, along with a book about Audubon. I have one more chapter to go on Hitch-22, which has been enjoyable if a bit verbose, something which is easily remedied by skipping entire chapters.

And I'm baking. Cookies, no-knead challah, pecan sticky buns. And I'm worrying, about what at times feels like a crippling inability to support myself financially. I need to go back to basics: meditation, a day at a time, no judgment. Love.

That's all for now.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Thursday said...

You seem to have done OK so far on the supporting yourself financially. Far, far better than I ever did. I actually could not support myself financially at all now.

1:12 PM, January 29, 2012

 
Blogger Jane said...

I worry also about supporting myself; I know what that feels like. Wish I had more useful things to offer.

Question: What were the book titles? Just curious.

2:16 PM, January 29, 2012

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Thanks, guys. Very much.

The books are: Pulphead and Kingdom Under Glass.

12:46 PM, January 30, 2012

 

Post a Comment

<< Home