Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Babcia Update

So I talked to Mcmumsy today and she said that things are a little up in the air with my fine Polish granny -- her heart is failing, but slowly -- she's probably got a year or so left. Most likely she'll be able to still live independently, at least for awhile; there's talk of oxygen tanks and maybe my parents would then take her in, or she would be part of some sort of hospice -- I'm not sure. My father has spent half his life taking care of her, and of my grandfather when he was still alive, and of the property they once owned, so I don't know that I could fault them putting her in a hospice, but -- after having lived with her for a time, it feels weird to be far away from her, and to think of her slipping the bonds of earth while I'm here in the city trying to have a life.

I'm not sad. Just contemplative. Hopefully, I'll see the Babcia this weekend.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

I may be out of line but... What does your grandmother want? Is she aware of the state of her health, and is she participating in the decisions concerning her quality of life during the last stretch? Is there anything I can do to help you, McPolack?

10:15 AM, September 29, 2005

 
Blogger McPolack said...

I don't think you're out of line, c. I try myself to make sure she's aware of what her decisions mean -- I know she is DNR but she says her personal doctor told her not to have any more operations, because another one might kill her. But not having the operation will kill her. She's definitely participating in decisions -- she wanted to live alone, and pulling her out of her life on the farm wasn't done until she requested it. And as for your offer of help -- thank you! I will let you know if I need anything.

11:43 AM, September 29, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home