Tuesday, December 13, 2005

surprise

So my phone rings last night whilst I am eating dinner and watching Arrested Development, which is only getting funnier and of course is going to be cancelled. Anyhoo, I see it is the McPolack Seniors calling so I pick it up.

"Hullo."

It's Polackpappy. I say hi, ask him what's up.

"Well, your mother had invasive heart surgery today and she's doing fine."

Good lord.

Readers may recall that Mcmumsy has tachycardia, a condition not necessarily life-threatening but not so good either that has sent her to the emergency room several times. I only discovered she had the condition because my dad came in one day when I was visiting and said he had to go pick her up from the hospital. The condition can be corrected by surgery. I vaguely recall McMumsy saying she'd be having the surgery, but she never specified when.

I mean, of course she didn't, because why should you tell your children anything that has to do with your health?

So I presented my case to Pp: what if something had gone wrong? I didn't even know she was in surgery. What if she had up and died? What would he have told me then?

Pp sort of chuckled and said "Surprise!" as in, that's what he would have said to me had it been the case.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Aw. Let us know how McMumsey is doing. Wishing her a speedy recovery! xo

I had/have tachycardia. Not sure if I'm considered cured, but I had a procedure done to correct it twelve years ago and have been pretty much symptom free since.

Yea modern medicine!

11:32 PM, December 13, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

same type of thing happened to my friend last week. he is going to visit his father (and they live in the same town) and then finds out dad has been in the hospital for three days because he had a stroke and a couple of those major artery surguries. parents didn't let any of the kids know. "didn't want them to worry". sheesh...

7:15 AM, December 14, 2005

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

Why do parents think it's ok to do this to their children? Methinks we should all have fake gender-reassignment surgeries, show up at their doorstep in our new "identities". Let's see how they feel about medical secrets then!
Loved visiting with you yesterday and LOVED your friend K.

3:31 PM, December 14, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home