Thursday, May 18, 2006

In Which McPolack Shares an Unappealing Aspect of Herself

So, along with being the Spit Capital of the Known Universe, Downtown Crossing is also home to a high number of teenage punks, people in wheelchairs, and the blind. There’s actually a blind woman who works in my office. She’s real surly and she has a wee bit of a white beard going on under her chin. I wonder: if I were blind, would I let my own chin hairs grow in?

There was a fire near the building yesterday and we had to evacuate and she was led downstairs by another employee. While we were outside waiting for the all-clear she complained about how she had houseguests over the weekend and they were bitching about the rain like it was her fault, and she told them, there are other hotels in town but they’re not free. Later I helped her turn her computer on. When she got up to use the bathroom, she bumped into my chair. She said something along the lines of the fact that she was just feeling her way out the door. I said “Don’t worry about it” and she barked “I won’t.”

Then when I was getting on to the T today I was behind one blind guy making his way to the orange line. And as I step into the waiting area for the Red Line, there’s yet another blind guy. They’re everywhere!

One of the great things about blind people is that you can TOTALLY stare at them. You could even count their chin hairs. Because, ha-ha!, they can’t see you.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

I'm ashamed to say it, but I'm cracking up.

11:06 PM, May 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just wait 'til the blind folks read this. you're gonna catch hell.

2:04 PM, May 19, 2006

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

"I See Blind People"
haha... I made a funny :D

3:05 PM, May 19, 2006

 
Blogger Nonsequitur said...

That's evil, but sooo funny :). You reminded me of my recent Chicago trip. I was waiting in line to get off the train and the door opening bell finally rang. The man standing in back of me bumped into me hard, then proceeded to put his hands all over me in a very indelicate and strange fashion, all while profusely apologizing. I wheeled around starting to say,"what the f**k do you think you are d..." getting ready to hit him for being a lecherous bastard and he turned out to be a blind man in dark glasses and carrying a cane... trying to feel his way around. He took it very well while I apologized profusely for swearing at him and I exited the train with a very red face.

4:29 PM, May 19, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home