Thursday, May 11, 2006

Well Jung

I finished my last library book (a history of McLean hospital) and didn’t have time to look for a new one so had to resort to my own bookshelves. I stock them from time to time with books I find on the cheap that I might want at some point to read.

I picked two books from the trove: Memories, Dreams, Reflections by everyone’s favorite German, C.G. Jung, and For Laci, by Laci Peterson’s mom, which was given to my by my mom, who told me Scott Peterson kind of reminded her of the chickenfucker and has said to me on occasion "Well, at least you didn't end up in the bay like poor Laci."

Now my intention was to read the latter book before bed and the former on the T, so as to impress my train mates, any one of whom could be boyfriend potential. I admit this is juvenile of me and I shouldn’t pretend to be into Jung if I’m not into Jung but it’s been almost two years since I've even snuggled with anyone. And I did buy the Jung book with the intention of one day reading it as opposed to using it to mack on men.

I expected to be really into the For Laci book which, let’s be honest, is a trashy read, and potentially bored and confused by the Jung.

I should also note that I used to work for a woman who published Jungian titles. And she was batshit crazy.

Anyhoo, no one was more surprised than me to discover that the trashy book is a drag while Jung is a real winner! Why, on page twelve we discover that in the first dream he can remember, he’s descending a flight of stone stairs in a hole in the ground, and walking through an archway to find seated at the end of a red carpet on a golden throne what he at first thinks is a really big tree but what turns out to be…

Wait for it…

Wait for it…

A giant Cyclops penis!!!

Damn!

Of course Jung also has very interesting things to say about religion and the nature of human life, which he likens to a bloom on a rhizome. I don’t like him just because of the penis dream.

But it certainly helped get the book off to a good start.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amy Traverso said...

Man, I never have archetypal dreams! Do other people [i]really[/i] walk through arches and sit on thrones? Because I'm walking through the grocery store and running into the nuns from 3rd grade and stuff...

8:49 PM, May 11, 2006

 
Blogger Amy Traverso said...

Whoops. Forgot to check my editin'.

8:49 PM, May 11, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mcp -- as a male, i have to say, i'm not all the likely to be drawn toward the woman on the train reading about a man dreaming about giant cyclops penises.

just so we're clear.

9:16 AM, May 12, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you realize by mentioning said batshit crazy publisher increase your chances of being haunted by her, don't you?

10:07 AM, May 12, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sir lojns... hey i like that...

10:07 AM, May 12, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Ahh! Sir lojns, if batshit you-know-who shows up at my house I'm sending her to visit you next

and as for my ability to attract men on the T with the Jung...well, if it's anything like what normally happens I'll get following of homeless guys and dirty old men

10:32 AM, May 12, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you need to place an ad:

Wanted: Male, mid-thirties, well-Jung

;)



And just ask contagious about said batshit crazy publisher's abilities to haunt... she'll confirm.

11:29 AM, May 12, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home