Thursday, May 04, 2006

Born Into This

So I've been spending a fair amount of time trying to figure out just what it is about my parents' view of my writing career versus my own view of it and I think I've figured out what it is that's bothering me so much.

My Mom and Dad are a little bit depressing.

In an attempt to cheer me up the other day as I was bemoaning the fact that I had a frighteningly low amount of money and no prospects for making any, my mother said, "Well, look at Emily Dickinson. She never even left her house but she still wrote a lot of great stuff."

Okay, Emily Dickinson? I mean, at least she didn't cite Sylvia Plath or Anne Sexton, but come on. I absolutely do not get inspired by being told that if a brunette agoraphobic weirdo can write, why can't I?

And Polackpappy wasn't much better. I was left after our good long talk about finances and life in general thinking--fuck. I need to get ready to accept toiling away in shitty-ass jobs and never making any money and suffering because of the life I've chosen. Then he recommended that I watch a documentary about another author--"He worked in the post office for 15 years because it gave him time to write. He even quit and then wrote a letter asking to be let back."

The movie was about Bukowski. It was interesting; Bukowski's life was quite fascinating. And also filled with violence and booze and horrible, horrible, needless pain.

I don't want that. I feel like I need to buy a pair of sequined red shoes and click my heels together however many times it takes to make that not be my future. I understand my parents are trying to prepare me for reality. And the reality is that if it weren't for them I would quite possibly be destitute. But when I think about years of slaving at low wage jobs and accepting less I want to curl up in the fetal position under my bed with all the dust bunnies and dead bugs and cry.

I see the world through rose-colored glasses. I do this to the point where it's sometimes detrimental. But I have to believe that good things are going to come to me. I have to reach for the light. Because I've spent waaaaaaaaaay too much time in the dark.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

I think it's a very romantic idea that writers have to be dark, pained souls with greasy hair and gin on their breath, but I think it's far from reality. I'm generally drawn to dark things, and sometimes I wish I were one of these writers who channel breathtaking prose from the ether and skip dinner because they just couldn't stop writing.

But I'm not. I'm a middle-class, American, body-by-white-bread, been-to-Europe-once-on-a-business-trip, married-with-child 30-something whose friends and tiny cyber-audience tell her "I love the way you write."

How far my words go is up to me. I'm convinced.

I prefer to use Anne Lamott as a role model. She's super-talented, but maybe no one would ever know if she wasn't also hard-working and accessible. She's so beautifully human. (She has had some darkness in her past, for flavor. Haven't we all?)

For what it's worth, your writin has a certain quality that makes me visit frequently. I know when I read your blog, I will get an easy-to-digest, delighful-to-read chunk of your human experience. It's addictive!

G'on, girl!

xo

10:49 AM, May 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its kind of funny, because just as you think Bukowskis (sp?) life was so intresting, I think the same of yours! You do have a great way of finding humor in so many things that I just pass by everyday and don't even notice. And you are able to articulate it as well, which I envy.

Maybe you should try writting a sitcom, or a book about a fictional character who experiences many of the same things as you. And of course I think some of Dr.Moo's experiences are hysterical also, they are great material for a book or movie or T.V. You seem to have a lot of material to work with, don't give up on your talent, I think you were born with it for a reason. You could even put together a bunch of your comical blogs and publish that! I know I'd buy it, because I am here reading your entry instead of working! (hoping I don't get caught on the internet!)
And I agree with Teri, I visit your sight everyday, and not just because I know you, but because I look forward to reading your entries. They make me laugh and see the world in a way I wish I could more on my own. I for one am looking forward to reading that book your working on!

4:54 PM, May 05, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Teri, I really like where you're coming from. I too don't know that I would skip dinner to write. Of course I don't know if I'd skip dinner for anything. I happen to be a HUGE fan of dinner.

I do know that I get a real joy out of doing the blog--nothing makes me happier than blathering on about whatever. I like to play with words. The fact that people I respect and admire and care for truly enjoy reading it is another layer of good stuff.

gollyggirl, I've been thinking more and more about fiction, especially now with where I'm working. There's just such crazy stuff there! Thank you for the compliment also. And you know, you have your own curious way of looking at the world, too, lady, and you are a real delight.

6:24 PM, May 05, 2006

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

I love the way you write, McP. And to put things in perspective a wee bit... Mr. Booze "resigned" last Friday. None of our jobs are secure, and on Monday we will have to interview for our jobs, à la Office Space. I'll take your bohemian life over this corporate wasteland any day of the week. In fact, when I return to my homeland, I may try the Dickinson approach to life. Death by consumption, baby, yeah!

3:11 PM, May 06, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home