Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Moose

L and cuarentayuno and I are hiking Mt. Moosilauke on Saturday and I couldn't be more excited. I can't believe I will have made it to July without a trip north.

For awhile I was trying to climb all the 4,000-footers in NH (and I still may) but there are some mountains I just enjoy too much and I end up spending my time on them instead of trying new mountains. Moosilauke is one of those favorites. I'm also a pretty big fan of the Lafayette-Lincoln-Little Haystack route, and when I lived in the Monadnock region, I did regular trips up Monadnock, on a super-secret locals trail that I'm not going to reveal here.

The hiking bug bit me probably 8 years ago now when I was living with an artist friend of mine who used to do days-long solo trips into the woods, even in winter. I haven't soloed in a long time, mainly because I've read and I believe that if you hike by yourself, you should do so with the understanding that you could die.

I'm also a big believer in the notion that you can never be overprepared. I usually bring a water filter (although I don't know where mine is, rats), a headlamp, a shiny silver emergency blanket rain gear, a compass (which, BTW, I don't know how to use) and lots of food.

I'm also excited for the ginormous meal I plan on eating on Saturday night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

My friends almost died hiking in HI recently. They got caught in a flash flood and had to spend the night hunkered down in a bamboo forest avoiding hypothermia while it poured rain on them. They got helicopter lifted out the next morning after another hiker spotted them from the other side of the overflowing creek they had crossed a day earlier, when it was a mere trickle.

They had with them: two Nalgenes of water, two power bars. Sunscreen. One hand towel. They were wearing shorts and t-shirts. They are experienced outdoors people. They were hinking on an easy trail that was recommended by locals as being safe even in the wet season.

I tell you this story in support of your instinct to take a buddy, but also because it's an amazing tale. To top it off: my stranded hiker-friend? This happened to her on the night of her 40th birthday! Trial by fire! (or rain...)

Have fun!!!

12:56 PM, June 30, 2006

 
Blogger Nonsequitur said...

Have a fun hike!!! :)

10:17 AM, July 01, 2006

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

I hereby certify that Mcpolack is almost always well prepared...

9:19 PM, July 02, 2006

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

I hereby certify that Mcpolack is almost always well prepared...

9:21 PM, July 02, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home