Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cheap Bastards

I'm not having such a good feeling about the "cobble work together through part time jobs" idea lately. Take the transcription agency, for example: Last week I discover that I am supposed to write in a 15 minute break on my time sheet so that they can pay me for it. They never told me this. I said I would figure out how much I was owed. They said, Oh, let's just make it easy and pay you for four extra hours. Which would be a total of 16 working days of 15 minute breaks. And I've been there for a month and a half.

Then today I get an email from a place that wants me to do copyediting. I eagerly accept the job and then discover the rates are a bit lower than what I've found people are charging in Tennessee and that's for double-spaced pages. These pages are single-spaced. And it is technical copyediting. I'll be lucky to get a third of what I've made at another job doing this. I almost wanted to tell the person to forget it. But I need the money.

Rowr!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home