Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Wagon

So. Have fallen off the wagon in terms of the 2 hour a day writing thing and am reconfiguring. I am definitely noticing that as soon as I make some big decision that will ultimately benefit my life and put me on a good path, there is immediate pushback (to use a consulting term) from my alter ego, EvilMcP. The past couple of weeks, EvilMcP has been freaking out, worrying about finances and what-all I'd actually committed to the page, as opposed to just frigging sitting down and doing the work. EMcP was dancing dancing dancing around, fanning the flames of my fear, and I was getting nowhere.

What I am discovering more and more is that I am a perfectionist, and not in a good way. I am a perfectionist to the point where if I am not going to do something in a way that is utterly perfect -- and in the case of my book, sit in front of my computer and write something that will win the National Book Award and the Pulitzer and a MacArthur Genius Grant, along with legions of hot bookish males showing up at readings for my autograph -- then I just will not do it at all.

Here, then, is my fear: I fear that I am a no-talent hack. I do not put this out there looking for compliments. I have heard from many people (including people, whose writing I admire, who read this very blog), for years, that I am good at this writing thing. I fear that I'm just some weirdo who sits in coffee shops, writing crap. The other day I was in one, writing, and ran into a friend of a friend who said, oh, I'm here to do real work, as if mine wasn't.

If anything, I am certainly tortured, and aren't all the great artists tortured?

Anyhoo. As a writer friend said to me, if you are going to write, it is going to hurt. And hurt it does. It sucks sometimes. I am really, really, really afraid of it. I'm going to make mistakes. I'm not going to do it perfectly. And I am going to do it anyway.

I am going to do it with as much joy and love for myself and the world as I can muster.

So there.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

McPolack, you're giving yourself a really hard time, setting schedules, timescales and boundaries that restrict and bind you.

4:29 AM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

You and I need to see La Bohème some time. It's sappy, and very sad, but beautiful. Marcello (another broke writer) sings this to Mimi (an even broker seastress):

-Chi son?
(Who am I?)
-Sono un poeta.
(I am a poet.)
-Che cosa faccio? Scrivo.
(What do I do here? I Write.)
-E come vivo? Vivo!
(And how do I live? I live)
-In povertà mia lieta
(in my contented poverty,)
-scialo da gran signore
(as if a grand lord, I squander)
-rime ed inni d'amore.
(odes and hymns of love.)
-Per sogni e per chimere
(In my dreams and reveries,)
-e per castelli in aria,
(I build castles in the air,)
-l’anima ho milionaria.
(where in spirit I am a millionaire.)

Of Mimi, the consumption-ridden seamstress who will perish in Act IV, just when they get their shit together, he says in Act II:

-perché son io il poeta,
(Because I am a poet)
-essa la poesia.
(and she is a poem.)

I think it's pretty... and wise, in that prudish Victorian way.

9:55 AM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

Oops... the poet is Rodolfo, not Marcello.

9:59 AM, June 15, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

EvilMcP will now be your rap name. Word.

10:12 AM, June 15, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Thanks, all! TC, I do appreciate the perspective on over-scheduling. I am the sort of person who doesn't wear a watch and who prefers to just kind of float through everything. Perhaps I have strayed too far on the other side. C, thank you for the beautiful poem.

sir loins, hell, yes.

6:19 PM, June 15, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home