Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Birthday

So the Polack section of the McPolack family is gathering to celebrate the Babcia turning 90. I called her tonight to see what kind of cake she wants and she is more of a vanilla than a chocolate fan. Which is odd, given her moo juice preference. Oh, if only I could make a trifle of jelly donuts soaked in chocolate milk.

Anyhoo. The Babcia is still getting visits from the dead and now her mother is talking to her. When I asked her what her mother was saying she told me that essentially she was riding her ass for stuff she did wrong. Hmmmmm. Much like what happens in my own dreams with my mother. But at least Babcia seemed a bit more chipper about all the mouldering folks that have been marching through her living room.

She also shared with me that she's been packing stuff up; she's moving in with my parents soon. My uncle C is supposedly flying out from CA this weekend to attend the party and he will also be picking up a large piece of furniture and possibly some other stuff from her apartment as well. I was asked awhile ago what-all I wanted of hers. I don't know if I've blogged about this yet, but yes, I do want stuff, and the nice and interesting stuff, and I feel weird/guilty about this because doesn't the good granddaughter just want peace and comfort for her grandma?

Well of course I want that for her. And if there were nothing to get from moving her but a hug and a kiss that would be plenty. Buuuuuuuuuut, now that you mention it, I sure do like that law bookcase and was hoping for some other stuff too.

So Babcia and I chatted a bit about the upcoming festivities. "I've never had a party before!" she told me. I told her to expect to be paraded around the lawn in a chair in her underpants while we sang to her. As I was getting ready to hang up the phone, after telling her I loved her, I heard her say to me in a small voice I wish you still lived with me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

went through the same thing with my grandmother, and then a (wise) cousin told me that it wasn't her furniture i wanted -- it was a piece of my grandmother to keep with me.

i was ok with that.

so should you be.

11:48 PM, June 13, 2006

 
Blogger Teri said...

Aw...heartbreaking! Sweet Babcia!

The above poster is right on. I know Babcia would want you to have whatever you wanted of hers, rather than see it go to the Goodwill or whatever.

12:49 PM, June 14, 2006

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I went through a similar situation with my grandmother.. it's definitely a weird feeling to start claiming stuff, but in the end, I was so glad to have been able to keep something of hers to remember her by. Don't feel bad! She'd want her obvious favorite granddaughter to have some of her things!

6:20 PM, June 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home