Sunday, October 08, 2006

This is a swell...

...representation of what the folks at the Deerfield Fair are like:

http://www.conmon.com/slideshow/Fair_Folks_SS/

(I am posting on a Mac so I can't do the linky thing)

The music is very, very stupid, however. The last picture is where Dr. Moo spent many a day, washing and shearing her sheep, then getting dressed up in an outfit she made herself out of wool, and parading her sheep around a dirt ring while a 4H leader read an essay DM had written about herself and her sheep. "Moo likes NKOTB while Aloe is a real whore for Saltines."

OK, the whore part wasn't mentioned, but it's true.

When the sheep got old, Moo put them to sleep, then had them cremated and had their ashes spread on the grounds of the sheep area. We made sure to visit them. One other item of note: there were a shockingly low number of cows in the barns at the fair this year, due to the price of milk and the Dutch dairy mafia. Happy cows may come from California, but if they act sad they'll end up in the Pacific wearing two pair of cement shoes, if you catch my drift. A lot of the New England dairy farmers just didn't have the money to go to the fair this year, which is something that hasn't ever happened, at least in my memory. It's sad.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

I love the music! :) But, then, I am a hillbilly at heart.

That was a GREAT slideshow. I have to get up there next year for the fair. One of my best buds lives in Deerfield!

I esp love the fried dough guy.

That is sad about the poor farmers. It really does break my heart...

3:25 PM, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Oh, you definitely need to come next year. And your wee girlie would love it.

6:52 PM, October 09, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

I should also qualify my "very, very stupid" statement. I do not dislike the music per se, however I am disappointed the the CM made such a g-d trite choice of musical accompaniment. I mean, come on, CM! Try!

7:23 PM, October 09, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home