Wednesday, January 31, 2007

G-d. Damnit.

So late last week I got an e-mail from an advertising agency which runs campaigns for companies you have definitely heard of. Some quirky and award-winning stuff. Said agency wants to interview me; someone who works there who I once worked with has "highly" recommended me.

I am thrilled, natch, as the cash is running low and it is high time I got a new gig. So I prepare myself as best I can -- get clips together, read up on agency, dress myself nattily.

I get to the agency right on time and am told the HR person will be "right down." Right down turns out to be 15 minutes. I am then sheperded to this strange opaque-walled and balsa wooded box in the middle of a giant room of people working. It's like there was a hurricane and a private dining room from a Japanese restaurant plopped down in the middle of a Soho loft.

I am left there alone for another 10 minutes.

Then I am interviewed by a delightful woman. During the interview a bald man comes in. He says "Let me see your stuff." I give him my clips. He asks do I have any advertising experience? Um, no, but you all called me and besides I am the queen of coming in on the fly, I've worked at start-ups, I'm good.

No dice. He tells me "You know, I have a lot of respect for what you do" in a way that makes me think he doesn't, after paging through my article on stem-cell research, which he remarks must have taken "a lot of time." Then he tells me he is sorry to have wasted my time; they are looking for more of a "creative" writer.

Um, WTF? I try and explain to him that this is just what I am. He is not buying it. He apologizes again. I offer up my freelance services. He says he'll ask the HR lady. More waiting alone happens. Then the HR lady shows up and says she'll "keep my resume on file" and that's that.

OK, here goes: I AM SICK OF BEING REJECTED.

That is it. I have absofuckinglutely had it. OK? I'm done. I'm done with going on lousy fucking dates and I'm done with going on bullshit interviews. I am going to see a career counselor on Friday, one who specializes in the ADD-types, which I am glad I signed up for because you know what? I can't do the rejection anymore. I'm smart and attractive and I don't say that to be snotty or to make myself feel better. It's just the truth. So start f'ing recognizing it, Universe!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

In other news, thank you for listening!

: )

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

oh honey!! i know the universe has got something bodacious in store for you. who knows why it sometimes refuses to comply with our schedules.

tack this on your bathroom mirror:

I am smart, talented and beautiful and I welcome love and prosperity.

and continue not taking it personally.
xoxo

11:21 PM, January 31, 2007

 
Blogger Regina said...

Huh, between you and Nonsequitur I thought I had the corner on lurking... =)

Sorry you've had a punk week. I never know what to say - I'm one of those people that laughs even when I see someone hurting and akwardly tries to cheer them up (it's the Chris Farley in me), even though we all know it's lame and unsuccessful.

Beleive me though, I've been there, everyone has. Most people aren't as strong or as eloquent as you to blog about it. You're amazing and for what it's worth, I'd pay money to read your blog.

Even if the universe doesn't know it yet, I know that you're fabulous!

1:03 AM, February 01, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know you're fabulous too!

10:27 AM, February 01, 2007

 
Blogger Amy Traverso said...

Me too! I just wish the world would hurry up and give you what you deserve.

5:17 PM, February 01, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home