Monday, April 16, 2007

Close to Home

Dr. Moo got her undergrad degree at Virginia Tech. I visited her there while she was in school and even came along on her initial tour of the campus. I got my tattoo in Blacksburg, at the same place the churchy folk Moo was close with went for their WWJD tattoos.

I haven't heard from Moo and I don't really know why I'm writing about this, other than to say that I know the place, albeit only a little, and it's lovely there, and the people there are lovely, too, and I'm sorry for everyone involved.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Yes. It's so sad. When you have even a little bit of personal association with a place like that, the tragedy cuts so much deeper. My sister went to Columbine High School. She was graduated when the incident happened, but still.

I know this was totally not the point, but I didn't know you had a tattoo! What/where?

6:21 PM, April 16, 2007

 
Blogger McPolack said...

I know what you mean. I talked with my sister this evening. She's angry because it was such a safe, happy time in her life being at Virginia Tech and it's a place where you would never, ever expect something like that to happen -- she said if she were there she wouldn't have believed what was happening as it was happening, because it was that safe and warm a community for her.

And I like to talk about my tattoo, so thank you for asking! I got it for my 25th birthday. It's on my lower back, it's green and black, and is the Japanese symbol for joy. I got it because I was really feeling like I was finally coming out from under years of depression and addiction, and was feeling joy in every sense of the word, and I wanted a permanent reminder that I'd felt that. Plus I was turning a quarter century old. Lately I have wanted another one and when I get through this latest change and feel like I'm settled somewhere new, I just may get more ink.

Where/what are your tattoos?

9:51 PM, April 16, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home