Thursday, April 12, 2007

Well, 'ello, Lovey

Tonight I sat in a pew at an Episcopalian church with Carmen to watch an author read from two of his books and then speak at great length about the problems in the Middle East and contend with some beastly folks in the back who kept, quite literally, bitching whenever they couldn't hear the questions being asked.

Now while I have purchased one of the author's books as a gift for a friend, I have yet to actually buy any of them for myself. OK, or read them. Of course I was interested in hearing what this gentleman had to say, because he is a walker, because he's my age and has done a lot with his life, and because I was genuinely curious to get the opinion of someone who has related to the people of Afghanistan on a very human level.

But I would be remiss if I did not also add that said author is a tall drink of Scottish. Look at him! Whee-hoo is he ever adorable. And articulate. Not to mention all dodgy on a certain question related to why he felt he had to walk across Afghanistan the hard way, dropping a vaguely Jungian allusion before pretty much avoiding the answer all together. I could have told him a thing or two about why I think men insist at times on doing things the hard way. Also I have read the Jung. We could talk philosophy! He was also very excitable and amusing and sweetly annoyed when, after an hour and a half of hearing him expound upon the issues in the Middle East, some people got up and left. And then at the end he quoted T.S. Eliot, on humility.

Sigggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Would that he did not live in Kabul. Readers, this man is d-r-e-a-m-y.

2 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Whoa, dude. He IS dreamy! Any accent from the British Isles sends me.

9:43 AM, April 13, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree.

5:17 PM, April 15, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home