Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Babcia's obit

This ran in the Union Leader yesterday. Thanks to my Uncle Joe for helping McMumsy write it, and McMumsy for asking me for my two cents. I did try to get her penchant for half-nude dancing in there but, well, it's a family publication.


Czeslawa XXX
HAMPTON FALLS - Czeslawa “Tessie’’ (Bartosiak) XXX died June 30,
2007, in Winnetka, California. She was 91.
Born June 19, 1916, in South Boston to Katherine (Wiechura) and Matthias Bartosiak, she attended Roxbury High School and graduated from the New England Conservatory of Music. She was Miss Boston Polish-American in 1935 and was also first-prize winner in the 1939 Miss Pulaski competition at American Legion Post 269.

She was married to John XXX for 49 years – he died in 1989. The
couple owned and operated XXX Pewter, first in Boston before
relocating to Drinkwater Road in Hampton Falls where it became a landmark. Mrs. XXXbresided in Hampton Falls for nearly 50 years before moving to Concord and then to California.

She was a longtime member of the Hampton Falls Grange, and Miraculous Medal Parish in Hampton. While in Concord she attended Immaculate Heart of Mary. She will be remembered by her friends and family for her hospitality, her beautiful gardens, and her extraordinary apple pies, made from apples she picked from trees on her farm.

Besides her husband, she was pre-deceased by three brothers and two
sisters, the latter two dying during the 1918 influenza epidemic. The
family includes two sons, Chester of Winnetka, Cal., and John Jr. of
Concord; six grandchildren, two great grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.

SERVICES: A funeral will be held in September at Immaculate Heart of
Mary Church, Concord.
Memorial donations may be made to the NH Food Bank, 62 West Brook St.,
Manchester, NH, 03101.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. czeslawa bartosiak is quite a name. beautiful obituary. i always remember the wacky babcia stories you told us. clearly she was loved and remembered by all who knew her, especially you.

11:27 PM, July 25, 2007

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

You should be proud of her, and I know she was proud of you too.

12:24 PM, July 26, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, absolutely lovely and clearly, quite a lady with a fabulous name!

4:11 PM, July 26, 2007

 
Blogger Teri said...

Wow. Obituaries. This is a great one. I hope I have an awesome granddaughter who is interested in my life. I will have so many stories for her...

Tessie! That touches my heart.
Love to you.
xoxo

8:36 PM, July 26, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, McP,

Most importantly, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your grandmother.

I'm one of those pollack relatives PP would come see in Boston. Well, actually he and your grandfather came to see my parents. Now that my dad and your grandfather are gone, last time I saw PP, he stopped in to see my mom.

PP told me and my mom about you living in Somerville. I remember making a mental note to try and find you one day.

Odd thing is, just days ago I found you in LinkedIn. I would have contacted you but didn't know your email address.

Today my sister heard about Aunt Tessie's passing. We decided to try and find her obituary. That's how we found you!

Thanks so much for posting her obituary. We had no idea she had won beauty contests but we certainly knew her beauty - inside and out.

I hope to meet you and share more at the memorial service.

Until then, may memories of your Babcia continue to inspire and warm you.

Best wishes,


Mary A.

9:39 PM, August 30, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:55 PM, September 19, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fondly remember Tessie and John and the boys. Our families enjoyed many visits at the farm.

Pauline, John, Patty Maslowski.

Brother Frankie went to school with John and Chet.

8:01 PM, June 26, 2009

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Thanks for all the lovely comments!

6:47 PM, July 01, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home