Monday, September 10, 2007

A Wrinkle in Time

Madeleine L'Engle died last week.

She's my favorite author, ever, and for a girl who got sent to see a counselor in the seventh grade because she was reading too many books, that's saying something.

I read an article a while back that said there were two sorts of girls -- those who read Madeleine's books and those who didn't. I'm proud to count myself as one of the former and I'll never forget the day I discovered A Wrinkle in Time, on a summer afternoon when I was 12 years old, in a back bedroom at my aunt J's house. That book gave me comfort and hope.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nonsequitur said...

Ummm... wow, it's actually possible to get sent to counseling for reading too many books!!!???

12:09 AM, September 11, 2007

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Well I am taking a smidge of literary license...I was sent to see a counselor in the seventh grade due to what I assume were a myriad of problems but what I remember is her telling me "Maybe you shouldn't read so many books." I thought she was crazy.

8:12 AM, September 11, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home