Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Country Update

Well the black flies have arrived in Concord. Which means I spray myself with a fine mist of deetified bug spray before going outdoors. I've worn Maxi-Deet, which is 100% Deet, hiking, which melted the lining out of my raincoat. It was PolackPappy's (the Deet, not the jacket), purchased for a fishing trip in northern Maine, where the bugs are horrendous.

I shan't be dousing myself in that again anytime soon.

But I'm not enough of a hippie to just wear citronella bug repellent. Because honestly? It doesn't work. You know what does? Deet. I'll be sure to post if I start growing any vestigial appendages, nipples, or otherwise, but nothing weird has shown up yet. What's especially amusing is when I go hiking with OSB. She won't wear Deet, but walks close enough to me so as to enjoy the bug-repelling benefits of the cloud of it that I give off.

In other Country news, I saw a patch of Johnny jump-ups in the yard. And when I went for my run today, a chipmunk with an acorn in his mouth crossed my path.

I don't think it was the Magic Weather Chipmunk.

2 Comments:

Blogger Overmatter said...

Two things. The other day I saw a woman in a low-cut shirt that was low enough that you could see her vestigial nipple. I felt closed-minded for thinking so, but: NOT HOT.

That "Skin So Soft" stuff from Avon used to work on gnats. But it kind of smelled worse than Deet.

They say that if you're lost in the woods of Maine, the bugs'll get you before anything else does.

1:31 PM, April 30, 2009

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Two replies.

1. Eeyew! SO not hot.

2. Oh yeah, S so S. I forgot about that.

OK, three replies:
3. Did you see they had a rally to save a bridge from Portsmouth to Kittery? On the NH side of course. Because Maine isn't sure. Further evidence that us NH folk are totally in the dark thinking Mainers love us as much as we love them.

8:39 AM, May 02, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home