Thursday, April 23, 2009

Achoo!

I am sick again. Thankfully it is not Lyme disease, a distinct possibility given the number of deer ticks I discovered on my person last weekend. Just a garden-variety season-changing cold.

I've been doing some transcribing again, interesting stuff -- first an interview with Noam Chomsky, then some intellectual historians discussing Noam Chomsky (among other things). They used the words "counter-hagiography" in reference to a New York Times article that called David Foster Wallace a metaphysician. This pissed them off. They thought he was just a writer. Honestly the historians came off a little sour grapes. I suppose one cannot help using giant, ridiculous turns of phrase when one is in an environment where that's how people speak but when it bleeds over into the Internet (I was transcribing a podcast), well, someone's got to put a stop to it. Unfortunately as I am paid to transcribe accurately, that someone will not be me.

Anyhoo have been quite busy as of late, which is good. Tomorrow I'm off to NH where the critter:human ratio will jump from 1:1 to 4:1.

I am only a little bit afraid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home