Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Jesus Update

Last Saturday I went to my first group reunion, which is part of what you do after you go on a retreat like I did. I actually used to attend this reunion as a child, but wasn't a participant. It's the one my parents have been going to since 1983.

I really enjoyed it. First we prayed together, then everyone got to chime in with their own individual requests for people or situations or people in situations. Then the hostess read something and initiated a discussion. This went on for about an hour or so. I was given a rose and welcomed in and some mention was made about how, 26 years from now, maybe I'd be in a long-running group. But not with them. Because they'd probably all be dead.

Then we held hands, prayed, hugged, and the dirty-joke portion of the evening began. People kept apologizing, and I was all, "Um, I remember this part." The difference is that now I get the dirty jokes.

Also we had snacks. You haven't lived until you've sat at a table full of folks who have known you since you were nine, eating carrot sticks and listening to your father tell a dick joke. Followed by your first cousin once removed telling you about the time she drowned a rooster for crowing too much.

When I got back to the McPolack homestead, McMumsy went to bed, and PolackPappy brought Harry the Wonder Chinchilla into the bathroom. I let him nibble on my hair while I ate mango sorbet.

Anyhoo, I hope I can find something like what my parents have around here. We'll see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Overmatter said...

You were eating sorbet in the bathroom?

11:35 AM, July 03, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home