Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Why I hate womens magazines

Here's one of many reasons.

I stopped reading Self awhile ago, partly because of their unrealistic and potentially eating-disorder-causing advice, and partly because their articles are just really, really stupid. (I do give them points for their tear-out exercise cards, which are actually kind of nice.)

I've been reading womens magazines since I was 12. That's nearly a quarter-century. And I can say one thing for sure: not much has changed. It's the same recycled, 95% bullshit advice they've been peddling for decades. Nobody in any of these magazines looks remotely real. I understand this to a degree with high-fashion mags; it's supposed to be art. But to call an image that's been Photoshopped to the point where it is physically impossible to achieve that look in real life "aspirational" borders on being a crime against women, in my opinion.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Traverso said...

Agreed! I was reading the Times Style magazine this week and I was like, "Huh. Why do I feel increasingly paranoid and fearful the longer I read this?" And then I realized, "Oh, because that's what it's designed to do!" So I threw it out. And that's the only sane thing to do with this stuff.

8:52 PM, August 18, 2009

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Agreed. Every so often I forget, pick something up, and by the time I'm 10 pages in it all comes rushing back.

8:52 PM, August 19, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home