Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Booty

The gifts this year were pretty spectacular. Walnut told me to keep the KitchenAid mixer she'd been letting me foster. Little Brother and his wife gave me a leather wallet from Italy and a fancy French cast-iron dutch oven. Dr. Moo finally came through on the French Laundry butter (some of which I salted and used to fry up penis-shaped pancakes the morning after Dr. Moo's bachelorette). Really I'm a little in awe at my loot. And very grateful.

I went for a walk in the woods on Christmas day, hoping to use the book I got to id some trees. Only, whoopsie! It's winter and there aren't any leaves on the trees. So I kept the book closed and followed some deer tracks instead. Did my usual poking of poop (deer and coyote) with sticks, found a turkey feather, deer beds, some blood. There was a tiny woodpecker waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high and a tiny spider way down low. I didn't run into any bigger critters, which was fine by me, because while walking Chauncey the Wonder corgi the day before I think I heard a bunch of coyotes running down a deer and it was loud and scary.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Thursday said...

When Spring comes, I need to go out walking with my tree book for some id-ing as my knowledge of trees is, quite frankly, shite.
I would like to hear the sound of coyotes running down a muntjac because that's the kind of girl I am but sadly, that's just not going to happen due to no coyotes.

5:33 AM, December 30, 2009

 
Blogger Nonsequitur said...

I know what you mean on the 'yotes (local slang). My neighbor recently shot one because it was going after his chickens. We have a group of 7-9 of them who go cavorting all around in the mountains around where I live. When they are all howling at once it is an incredibly eerie sound, reaching deep into you and making the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end. A friend and I were recently theorizing about that being a primordial reaction left over from our species' earlier hominid days.

10:46 AM, January 04, 2010

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Thursday, aren't muntjacs essentially wee, and therefore adorable, deer? Shame, shame! Of course if something cute was eating my garden my reaction might be different.

Nonseq, nice to read your recent posts and see your pics. I'm jealous of your woodsy abode. I agree with you about the primordial reaction-it's eat or be eaten. I also don't want them to eat my parents' fat barn kitty, who'd be an amuse bouche on the way to a main course of corgi. When they were close to the house recently, Pp got out his rifle, but didn't have to do any shooting.

10:35 AM, January 06, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home