Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The horrah

The fish care person at the LNFU bought some more critters for the tank behind my desk recently, including a pleco who spends the day nibbling his way around, some snails, and a couple of tiny frogs. One of the frogs died right away and I didn't see the other for so long that I assumed he had died as well. But then he made an appearance at feeding time and I figured he was just timid.

Last week, I turned around to find the danios dragging the frog around the tank by hig legs at top speed, and occasionally engaging in a gruesome tug-of-war. I figured the frog was dead but I wasn't sure if the danios were eating him, and if they were, if it was safe for them to eat him. So I called a couple of students over. At which point I realized Sir Froggy was alive. 

This is why I don't watch nature programs. Everyone's getting along on the plains in Africa and then something cute gets gored by an elephant or eaten alive while its family watches. I know nature is cruel. I don't need the visuals.

Anyway, I got over my squeamishness about sticking my bare hands in the tank and dipped a plastic box full of water and frog. One of the students helped me set up a separate tank for him in another part of the lab. We gave him some plants and a rock and an air supply and some worms. He was dead by nightfall.

Over the weekend my favorite fish, Stu the misanthropic darter, swam under the rainbow bridge. Stu'd always had a forlorn look in his eyes. 

It got forlorner when one of them swelled up about a week ago. 

But at least he'd had a good long life. 

3 Comments:

Anonymous Thursday said...

Life and death. C'est la vie. Hope you're well.

4:11 PM, March 14, 2012

 
Blogger Jane said...

I still have bad memories about the documentary I saw with the lion who adopted a baby deer and then the deer got eaten by another lion and, well, after that I was not allowed to watch any animal documentaries.

8:05 AM, March 15, 2012

 
Blogger 123 said...

Your Shoes with red bottom signature coffer from the a lot of fuckable footwear,if youre reviewing any blooming shoes or boots,it is accessible to analyze in fact Red Sole Shoes as ablebodied as an added variation.Brand name sneakers,accomplish shoes and boots on the internet youll be tracked down,which can be hot,gorgeous, Red Bottom Shoes for women as ablebodied as activity.In just the achieve annihilation at all can beat sandals.Sandals assuredly can be a anniversary and every day put on goods.Heading out for looking,alone just blind out with buddies or whichever the could cause probably,sandals are alone capital accept Red Bottom Pumps for your anniversary day placed on. Buying a absolutely banty blue brace of sandals in the accepted colour like derma adumbration or just a adumbration of amber that complements the pores and derma accent will abetment you brace it after accepting amount what colour Red Bottom Peep Toes bathrobe you appear to be sporting.

2:06 AM, November 08, 2012

 

Post a Comment

<< Home