Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Fishie

Went to RedBones today with the same friend I went to see the glass flowers with a couple of weeks ago. It further confirmed to me that I just don't like the foods of the South.

I ordered their catfish sandwich. It came with dirty rice and coleslaw and was on a mammoth bun. My problem with catfish (although I don't have this issue with the catfish I buy at the grocery store; theirs must be the special Yankee version) is that it's kinda juicy, and the juice it exudes tastes like how I imagine getting a big swallow of slow-movin' slippery-slidy stagnatin' Southern river water might taste. It tastes funky. Kind of dank. Vaguely musty and, dare I say it, sexual, but in a really dirty, base, animal sort of way.

It feels like I am Eating Something I Shouldn't.

I also had a bite of a sausage off my friend's bbq platter. It looked like a fat turd laid by a large hound dog and didn't taste much better.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you sure it was catfish?

2:45 PM, October 13, 2005

 
Blogger Melissa said...

Old catfish tastes like that. Means it has a lot of fat in the flesh so when it cooks it renders out and makes it nasty. The smaller the fish the better it tastes as far as catfish goes.

12:13 AM, October 15, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home