Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I Heart Ron Popeil

The first piece of writing I ever had published (my junior year in college) included a reference to one of his magical inventions. It was 1990. I was a senior in high school. I stayed up late with my best friend Walnut watching infomercials. Walnut wanted a food dehydrator. You could make apple snacks! And yogurt! And, mm mm mm!, turkey jerky! Zowie!

Apparently the food dehydrator infomercial was his very first, and it pulled him out of bankruptcy.

Even though neither I nor Walnut ever bought a food dehydrator I like to think the my reference to it in print helped him out in some small way.

You can learn more about Mr. Popeil here, in a swell slideshow.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually own a pocket fisherman.

9:12 PM, October 04, 2005

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Shut up!!! How does it work? Have you caught any keepers with it?

7:54 AM, October 05, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got it off ebay back when we were working for the devil. i'm surprised i never brought it up. it folds up into itself... you definately couldn't catch anything with it. well, maybe, but i've never tried. i think i bought it as a joke to show my brother. great novelty item though, original 70s model...

8:43 AM, October 05, 2005

 
Blogger McPolack said...

I think we were too busy sacrificing goats and virgins back then to talk about Ron Popeil. Dang.

12:02 PM, October 05, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home