Sunday, October 02, 2005

Fay-uh

Went to the Deerfield Fair on Friday night with Polackpappy. Last time it was just him'nme at the fair together I was in the fifth grade; he bought me whatever treats I wanted and we watched my Uncle John in the free-for-all horse pull.

This year my Pp bought me some onion rings, coffee, fudge, peanut brittle, and a doughnut as big as my head. He also shared with me this little gem, as we were looking at a classic three-holer outhouse in the fair's farm museum:

"You know, when your mother and I first bought the house in Chester, we had one of those in the barn, with some corncobs."

"Why corncobs, Polackpappy?"

"Well, if you look at the cob after you've eaten the corn off it, you'll see it's nice and soft, but also rough. It's good for wiping. It's also where the term 'cornholing' came from."

Um, what?

"What!?"

In typical Pp fashion, he ignores my aghast reaction and keeps going. "People starting sticking the corncobs in their butts...they liked how it felt...and that's how cornholing came to be. Get it?"

"God, Pp, why do you tell me this stuff? Yuck! No wonder I'm such a weirdo."

"Heh heh heh heh. Do you want to look at anything else?"

Pp also shared with me while we were looking at some pottery in the 4H building that when he was a kid he used to make ceramic turds.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

Did the greeks have corn too?

1:56 PM, October 03, 2005

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Hee hee hee...I don't know! You should ask my dad.

2:14 PM, October 03, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home