Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Whoopsie #2

So there is a Catholic church at the top of my street and a very popular time to have funerals there is around 10/10:30 in the morning. When I left later (and was slower) on my runs I tended to come upon the funeral as the casket was being pall-beared up the front steps of the church. Now that I'm leaving earlier I tend to miss the funeral all together.

But not today. Today I left at the perfect time to:

1. Round the corner and see four large men in dark suits with sunglasses, striding mafioso-like down the street towards me and walk out into traffic.

2. Watch from the middle of the sidewalk as a shiny black hearse pulled up that same side street I had just come off off.

3. Think to myself "Hmmm. What would be the respectful thing to do here? Should I cross myself? No, that's too Godfather. I'll just bow my head in silent prayer."

4. Whilst bowed in silent prayer, totally miss the fact that, since it snowed like a ton the hearse needs to drive up on the sidewalk (and might always drive up there anyway; I can't remember) and park, essentially, right where I am standing. Finally, a guy who I think is a groundskeeper from the church politely informed me that I needed to move. I apologized and crossed the street.

Just another faux pas to add to my list.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

I had such a big laugh at this! Not at you, but just because this is totally something that would happen to me.

4:41 PM, February 14, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home