Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Shower

Went to ctale's shower on Sunday. She's more pregnant than ever! She's a pregnantosaurus rex! She looked fabulous and, I thought, handled the event with aplomb. I gave her kitty pajamas, a big rubber ball with farm animals on it, and a Tomie dePaola book. I also ate the best g-d cake I've had in a long time. It was four layers with raspberry jam in the middle. Oh, and I met both xianfern and Christ had a Sister and a couple of their little ones -- got to hold one of xianfern's warm and sweet little baby twin girls -- and I liked them as much as I thought I would, which is to say a lot. It was my first face-to-face meeting with people I've known only on the blogosphere.

I also saw a good friend from the batshit crazy publishing house I used to work at. It was so bad there that when I reunite with people who worked there and I haven't seen them in a while, we hug like we've been through a war. And we did.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Thanks for sharing that Tomie link. We have one of his (always assumed it was a woman! oops!) books and I never knew he was so charming and prolific. The upcoming book on New England fairy tales sounds really cool.

10:56 PM, November 01, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"we hug like we've been through a war"

ahhh... those were good times, weren't they?

4:13 PM, November 02, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

And my memories of them age like fine wine...as I'm sure yours do.

4:19 PM, November 02, 2006

 
Blogger Overmatter said...

Was it "The Clown of God?" I always liked The Clown of God.

5:30 PM, November 05, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have a postcard from big bad betty written just before she passed saying to give her a call if i ever needed anything. i kept it on my bulletin boad in my studio for a long time. walking by it would often catch me off guard.

9:04 PM, November 05, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Carmen -- It was actually an illustrated version of "Mary Had a Little Lamb." My favorite Tomie books are "Strega Nona" and "Francis: The Poor Man of Assisi." He is really into the Catholic religion, that Tomie.

sir loins -- I was never lucky enough to get a postcard from the BBB. But I do have fond memories of her imparting her publishing wisdom to me in a lamplit room as I stood by her side, and then later saying she wouldn't hire an obese woman because, ha ha ha, she'd break all the furniture.

teri, I think your daughter cannot have too many Tomie books. You should also get her "The Stinky Cheese Man"

6:54 AM, November 06, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

big anthony always forgets the three kisses...

one of the nice things about having my little girl. :)

9:46 AM, November 06, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home