Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Good TV

I seem to be watching a lot of the boob tube lately, but not all of it's crap. Tonight I'm watching an Independent Lens documentary about Sesame Street in other countries. Sesame Street was originally created in the late sixties in part to put poor children on more of an equal level educationally with their wealthier peers and it crossed racial divides in a way that no other children's program had done before. And now they're doing that on a global basis, and teaching values like respect for other people along with reading and numbers.

I found some parts of the program riveting, and touching, like when the Bangladeshi team got their Muppets -- they were just experiencing this pure, human, joy. I'm not the sort of person who believes there will ever be peace on earth, because I don't think any of us (well, a majority of us) are either all good or all bad. But I do believe there are powerful forces of goodness in the world (even though typing that sappy line makes me want to throw up a little) and I think Sesame Street is one of those forces. Watching those Bangladeshis with their puppets made me cry a little.

4 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Oh my God, I cried just reading that post. I'm such a sap! I totally agree with you about Seseme Street and forces of goodness. Anything that teaches children respect, peace and humor is pure gold.

(We're watching it right now!)

11:04 AM, October 25, 2006

 
Blogger Nonsequitur said...

Curse the geological anomaly which prevents me from being able to receive ANY publically broadcasted stations at my residence. I would love to have seen this documentary. (Well, I can sort of pull in PBS, but it takes some serious mental aerobics to decipher it through the fuzz and interference.) I wonder if it's been posted on YouTube at all? If anyone knows where I could find it, I'd be rather appreciative.

11:11 AM, October 25, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sesame Street was and is fabulous but you put it far, far better.

12:39 PM, October 25, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

teri, some days I ooze sap. Nonsq, if you got to the IL site there's a clip of the Muppet moment, but I'm not sure where to find the whole video. Thursday, thanks! You're going to make me blush.

8:46 PM, October 25, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home