Monday, February 19, 2007

No Corners For You

Spent the weekend in Albany with JoyceFrances, her husband, and their swell dog. We went to the Y late on Friday afternoon, where I was gawked at by an elderly African-American man wearing satin shorts, tube socks, a headband, and coke-bottle glasses and where they have an indoor track in a low-ceilinged smelly basement that you have to run around 24 times to go one mile.

Then on Saturday we went to a yarn store in the back of someone's house, to the grand-reopening of an Italian market where I bought meat that I then forgot to take with me when I left, and then that night we went ice-skating at a rink surrounded by all sorts of weird architecture -- there's a giant building that sort of looks like the Chateau Frontenac, a bunch of Chicago-esque skyscrapers, a giant halved concrete egg filled with snow, and a building that looks like a university library but actually has a carousel inside.

Also at the rink they play surf music from the '50s and '60's. Honestly it was pretty much totally awesome due to the surrealness of it and due to the fact that I just really love to ice skate, like really love it -- I find it very meditative and fulfilling, and also due to the fact that JoyceFrances loves to ice skate, too, and we do tricks, and then skate around post-trick with our arms in the air, ta-dahhhh style.

Also I knit a lot, met a really interesting and talented writer/dancer friend of JoyceFrances', ate one delicious meal after another prepared by JF, got a free wide-screen TV, and got hit up for cash by a cracky mccrackaddict.

3 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

Sounds like a proper roadtrip! So fun. I miss the freedom of the weekender.

You have an open invitation to Chez Blueberry Pie, in case you ever wanted to check out Philly, yo.

:)

10:44 PM, February 19, 2007

 
Blogger McPolack said...

You know I just went online and looked at driving directions and plane tix...I am going to see if I can get someone to join me for the drive...don't want to make any promises as to time but I have always wanted to see Philly and it would be FAB to meet you and your wee one! Thank you for the invite and you are welcome as well at my place anytime...

9:47 AM, February 20, 2007

 
Blogger Teri said...

Hooray! Yeah, the drive is a bit long. I have done it many times. We have friends in southern NH and used to come up twice a year at least. Being broke-ass parents has sort of put a cramp in our wayfarin' lifestyle...

I've heard plane tix are cheap and you wouldn't need a car while here. So y'know.

Thanks for the invite too. I would LOVE to take a trip up there, bounce around among many long-neglected friends and meet you!!

4:52 PM, February 20, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home