Sunday, April 01, 2007

Small Town

So this is a view of the center of where I grew up, Chester, NH, where my parents lived for some 30 years. Note the church, where I, my brother, and sister, all had our eighth grade graduation ceremonies. Note also the blinking yellow light. That would be the only traffic light in the whole town, and it wasn't always there. I haven't been back to Chester in a long time. In my day (and please try to imagine that being said in the voice of a crotchety old person) every business in the center of town -- the hardware store, the general store, the restaurant, and the hair salon -- were owned by members of the same super-procreative family. They had 12 kids.

Now apparently the store and restaurant are owned by someone else, and were sold within the last couple of years. So I guess some things do change. But certainly not what passes for entertainment there on a weeknight.

(I should also add that I in fact would TOTALLY have been up for watching something like this. It's like the parallel universe of when they parade the elephants through NYC.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:03 PM, April 01, 2007

 
Blogger K said...

Gotta love small-town NH life!!

8:49 PM, April 01, 2007

 
Blogger Nonsequitur said...

Chester is a small, charming town, I visit there occasionally and this is SOOO totally, quintessentially small-townish behavior ;-p

10:42 PM, April 01, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home