Thursday, July 26, 2007

What to do whilst waiting for a call...

Perhaps when I get more experience I'll know how to best use my time when I call to interview someone and their assistant says they'll call me back in 10 minutes but lately I've been all about accepting myself as I am and right now I want to use that 10 minutes to blog about this chippy.

Meet Daphne Guinness. I saw her last night on this program on haute couture. It was fascinating. I don't buy Vogue anymore because it's irritatingly clubby and right now I'm wearing giant shorts I got at Goodwill but there is a part of me that dreams about wearing truly gorgeous clothes. Daphne does, all the time. But what really fascinated me about her was her voice, dahling. It was just what you imagine money would sound like if it spoke. Not new money, or crisp 100 dollar bills or multiple denominations of Euros, no -- money that's been around for generations and is in giant country estates that are impossible to heat, and stocks and bonds and racehorses and God knows what else. She's descended from the Mitfords, although unfortunately her Granny was a Nazi.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having dreams of turning up at Joe Brown's with armfuls of beautiful, gorgeous vintage, what I believe is now called 'sleepwear'.

4:13 PM, July 26, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i loved that show, too. and i was also struck by the voices of the couture clients, especially daphne guinness. the word i kept thinking to describe her accent was "plummy". i went to bed thinking about it after i had watched the show. it seemed like all those well taken care of ladies who never have to schlep or clean, who live in homes where everything is perfect and perfectly ordered live in anohter time zone, they were all so calm and serene. their manner was so genteel- the genteel manner of one who never has to run to catch a bus or walk to the bus stop in the rain or gets their gas or electricity shut off. those women inhabit such a rarefied world, one where you are important because of your money and your buying ability and everyone around you is at your service, and everyone who wants something from you is so gracious.

1:20 AM, July 30, 2007

 
Blogger McPolack said...

I like "plummy." And thursday, I can totally see you traipsing about in your sleepwear, wafting clouds of your favorite Jo Malone scent behind you...

: )

12:54 PM, August 02, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home