Thursday, December 13, 2007

Bizzarro

After seeing The Kite Runner the other night (which, R4K, I recommend) and having some dinner, I accompanied L to the large 'n fancy consulting firm. They've got a deliverable coming up and they've all been working hard; L needed to check her e-mail one last time and grab a couple things.

When I went to the supply room to grab a couple of pens and sticky notepads, I discovered that there was a bulletin board in that supply room. And on that bulletin board there were three pictures. Three pictures and not much else. I am in every single one of those pictures. In one of those pictures, I am the only person featured, and my name is written underneath it.

Now while I did attend the holiday party last year and am attending the holiday party this year, I have not set foot in that building or done any work for that specific subgroup within the overall firm, in more than a year. In fact I was not asked back to do any further work for them for a variety of strange reasons pretty much unrelated to the quality of my work. And yet there I hang, smiling, on the bulletin board in the supply room of their work pod, in triplicate. It reminds me a smidge of my time at a NH publication where, upon leaving due to a conflict, I continued to housesit, FOR THE OWNER, on a regular basis. I slept in his bed (which as I read this over sounds really f*&%ing weird and upon further reflection kind of was), and had easy access to all sorts of files about the company that had let me go. Of course I never looked at anything because that's not the kind of person I am, but still. Why does shit like happen with me?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger laura didyk said...

That is fri-kin' bizarro! Did you leave the photos? Or take them? That is just...totally bizarre. It sounds like a weird dream.

About the sleep-in-the-owner's-bed situation...well, I struggle with this often...the professional/personal boundary. I try to err on being too rigid. Less trouble (ie; my current boss, who I used to be creative friends with, I don't really invite to things anymore, nor do I expect her to invite me...it makes it too blurry and vague and plants seeds for future trouble; although I think it can work with the right people--healthy, clear, communicative people...but, even then, it can be difficult).

2:12 PM, December 13, 2007

 
Blogger Overmatter said...

They miss your pretty face! That's not so weird.

2:39 PM, December 13, 2007

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree with overmatter, they just enjoy seeing your beautiful mug whenever they need toner!

5:59 PM, December 13, 2007

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think they want you to stop taking the office supplies. Lol~!

9:26 PM, December 13, 2007

 
Blogger McPolack said...

bitter joe, nice to hear from you again. when I took the office supplies I was careful to wear a big dark beard and moustache.

to all the other respondents: I've gotten similar mixed feedback to everyone I've told this story to and I can see both sides but I still lean more towards the weird than the sweet. thanks for your input!

5:57 PM, December 14, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home