Monday, January 21, 2008

I am legend.

Dr. Moo, her bf and I did our first-ever winter hike on Saturday, climbing Tecumseh (which is the same mountain the Waterville Valley ski resort is on). It's one of the 4,000-footers and is 2.5 miles up, about a mile of which is a fairly steep, pretty punishing climb. We snowshoed all the way up. Dr. Moo wasn't feeling that great, whereas I was feeling like I really needed to just go at my own pace and clear my head, which led to my summiting 25 minutes before Moo and her bf did.

I had to turn around and head down the mountain before they reached the top because my body decided, with astonishing speed, that it was going to sacrifice my fingers -- all of them -- for the sake of my internal organs. It's one of those primal things you can't do anything about, save get moving, and get moving I did. When I met Moo and her bf a little ways down the mountain, I turned around and accompanied them for a second climb up.

Yes, you read that right. I climbed up to the top twice. Granted, the second time I was quite close to it already. But still. I should also note I got up there faster than a 27 year old guy. I'm in really good shape. Plus I have man legs. Days like I had Saturday make me feel pretty good about them, and less like a hulking Amazon who can't wear sexy sexy boots because they won't zip up over my incredibly muscular calves.

Anyhoo, it was a fan-frigging-tastic climb, made even better by the glissading I got to do on the way down. It is SO MUCH FUN to glissade. I took off my (borrowed from Moo's bf - thanks!)snowshoes, sat down, and slid. And slid and slid slid, on my bumcheeks, all the way down the torturous steep pitch I'd climbed up earlier. Unfortunately Dr. Moo's pants had this reinforced butt on them and she couldn't glissade. But we all made it safely down the mountain and went home to watch Superbad, which was good, piled on the sofa with Tess the Wonder hound and Chauncey the Wonder corgi.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Thursday said...

Wow, that sounds SO good!

2:07 AM, January 22, 2008

 
Blogger Teri said...

Yes...as usual, your tales of extreme outdoor exertion leave me wanting more for myself. G'on girl!

10:25 PM, January 27, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home