Monday, June 09, 2008

The mountains are still hungry...

It looks like the bellies of northern New Hampshire's mountains are still not full. I must say, part of what kept me going on my own marathon hike was the thought of how embarrassed I'd be to appear in the paper if I had to be carried out on a stretcher.

I cannot overstate this: You need to be very prepared to hike in NH! More prepared than you think. Dr. Moo had a date a few summers back with some dairy royalty. She asked him beforehand if he was an experienced hiker as she was planning a winter trip up Lafayette; he assured her he was. And then he showed up in jeans. She told him she couldn't go hiking with him because he was a liability. Hee hee! He was also a douchebag.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

or at the very least 'prepare to be uncomfortable'. my hiking motto is i will never call for help (for myself), unless a bone is sticking out.
my other motto is you can't substitute all the goretex jackets, vibram treads, or nalgene bottles IN THE WORLD, for a single brain.

3:29 PM, June 09, 2008

 
Blogger McPolack said...

I agree with you 100%, heidi. Brains trump them all.

2:29 PM, June 10, 2008

 
Blogger Teri said...

Oh, I have been so out of touch with my favorite blogstress! (That be you.)

This reminded me to tell you - if you haven't yet, you must rent Into the Wild. Not only does Emile Hirsch make for some sweet, Leonardo-esque mountain man fantasy fodder, but I cannot stop thinking about Chris McCandless' story. The film is beautifully done in every way. I think I experienced a lite paradigm shift watching it.

I didn't read the book (of the same name), but I bet you did!

xo

8:31 PM, June 10, 2008

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Teri, I miss you! And I hope you are well. E-mail me?

And you are correct, I did read the book. I own it. It's a great read. I discovered it maybe five or six years ago. Before the author wrote about Everest, anyway. I'm definitely going to get my hands on a copy of the DVD. Both for the paradigm shift and the cutie pie.

: )

10:08 AM, June 11, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home