Thursday, December 18, 2008

Holy Mary Mother of the Market Basket

I headed to the Basket a little before 11:30 today, after having a bit of a frenetic morning in which I sat on my fanny, then dug through a pile of papers for checks to send to the bank, stamps, and Christmas cards. Also I cleaned the kitchen a little, and tried not to beat myself up too much for letting the ADD get the better of me.

Unfortunately I forgot we were getting a foot of snow tomorrow. But nobody else in Somerville did, because they were all at the grocery store! Good God almighty. I ended up waiting in an endless line of cars in the parking lot for, I don't know, five to ten minutes? And this is a tiny, tiny parking lot. Then some lady unloads her groceries into her minivan and it's right next to me and I think, great! And I put on my blinker.

Then someone coming in the other direction stopped and made like she was going to take the spot, well after I had staked it. So I rolled my window down and stinkeyed her into next Tuesday. She left. But then the minivan lady just sat in her car. WTF!

It was at this point that I took some deep breaths and decided that I needed groceries, I was going to get groceries, and I was going to have to just suck it up. I drove around the lot a little more, and found a space. Then I made my way through the madding crowds, waited in a looooooooooooonnnnnnggggggggg line, and did my best to be courteous. I smiled at people. I gave the Salvation Army bell ringer a 20 because that's all I had in my wallet.

When I got home, well, I still felt like I needed a cigarette, but I didn't hate myself. And that, folks, is the power of Jesus.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home