Monday, September 20, 2010

Pastoral

Well my stinkbug friend reappeared last night, buzzing and flapping in one of the lamps in the living room. Only problem is, he's missing one leg.

I think Gustav might have eaten it.

Gustav is Walnut's Venus flytrap. He's my Fresh Air Fund kid. See, Somerville has more trash and scuzziness than Cambridge (where Walnut lives), which means there are more bugs. Gustav eats bugs. So it's healthier for him here. I fed him a dead ladybug the other day (I could tell it was freshly dead b/c it was still brightly-colored) and his jaws snapped shut so quickly they made a sound. It was a little creepy.

Anyhoo there's a leg-segment-like shadow inside one of Gustav's closed parts. I can't be 100% sure it's a stinkbug leg segment but you never know.

This morning the stinkbug was on the rug in the hall; I tried my best not to step on him. I almost put him out of his misery last night, with a wet paper towel, because he was buzzing around and looking like he was going to fly into me, and because I didn't know if he was suffering due to leg loss. But I couldn't bring myself to do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home