Thursday, November 10, 2005

Ballsy

My McPolack mouth has struck again. I was chatting this afternoon with a networking contact, a helpful and nice and also business-savvy man who runs an organization he wants me to do some volunteer writing for; in return, he's going to promote me to and put me in touch with some folks who might want to pay me for my skills.

First we had to determine just what my skills were.

Him: "So tell me, just what do you specialize in? Pharma? Biotech?"

Me: "I've done a lot of business writing."

Him: "That's a little too general. Can you get more specific?"

Me: "Hmm. See, here's the thing. Well, here's what I tell people at parties. I can write about just about anything. I've written about *insert fancy business topic* for a product put out by *insert fancy institute of higher learning.* I've also written about the best time to castrate a goat."

Him: "Look, I'm not trying to judge you here, but how old are you?"

Note to self: Do NOT under ANY circumstance mention goat castration (or any other kind of castration) when you are interviewing with anyone that has testicles.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Teri said...

No, I think that's quite a range you have there! I should think that would impress a potential employer.

11:42 PM, November 10, 2005

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, the whole "how old are you" thing is completely unprofessional.



and when i quickly read "biotech" i thought you wrote "biaotch".

10:25 AM, November 11, 2005

 
Blogger Melissa said...

hahahahahahahahaha

Did he cross his legs?

7:11 PM, November 11, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home