Monday, January 23, 2006

In Which McP Blogs From a Hipster Coffeeshop, Thus Becoming a Cliche

So I'm sitting in Diesel, hipster coffe joint, purveyor of the yummiest snack-size sticky buns, and home away from home for me when I'm working from home. I spent the last hour doing some script comparison, drinking strong coffee out of a pint glass, and eating a cookie. (They were out of sticky buns). I didn't realize I needed to download more documents so I can't do anymore work until I get home and...well, this is exciting, dear readers! A hairdresser in a newsboy cap just interrupted my typing and asked if I might want to come in and pay 20 bucks for a 70 dollar haircut at the Vidal Sassoon on Newbury Street. She was actually a wee bit snarky, telling me my hair was kind of thin and that her cut would give it some life, and also looked a bit irritated when I told her I couldn't confirm a date two weeks in advance, but whatevs. (BTW, Im trying to make "whatevs" the new "whatever". I like how very, very stupid it sounds. Let's start shortn. evryth.!) It's a bargain fancy-pants haircut and I am excited. Also a bit scared in case Snarks Mcdumbhat f's up my do.

Anyhoo, back to the coffeeshop blogging. Diesel is fairly good-sized. It's front wall is a garage-door thingy that they open up in the summertime, it's got pool tables and a photo booth, and sofas and a loft. Looooooooooooooots of people sit here with their laptops for hours. The shop is populated mainly by skinny boys with cute saggy-jeans-enmeshed butts, girls wearing newsboy caps, earnest chubby young buzz-cutted lesbians, older lesbians with slightly longer hair, some standard-looking folk, and me. I don't know that I really am a type. Today I am wearing brown pants from the J'sCrew, a white t-shirt, and a fitted black sweater.

Let's just call me "Maggalicious."

Ahem.

So back to the hair appointment. The reason I couldn't confirm is because I am on the fast track to full-time employment. There's no real reason for this other than that I just decided it would be so, did a pink-bubble meditation technique that's sort of related to it, and got a great lead on one job, complete with personal connection. Also a friend of mine is training to be a life coach and I'm going to be her first coachee, which means I get to spend the next 16 weeks changing my life for the low, low price of: nothing. I start tomorrow morning at 7:30.

I'm at a loss for a good way to end what has turned out to be a rather long post but end it I must, as I have to go number 2 and there ain't no way I'm doing it in the bathrooms here, what with those hipster boys' jangly caffeinated nerves causing them to shakeshakeshake their junk all over the place while they're peeing. Whatevs!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Lady --

How many times do you and I have to have the "horse chewed my hair" conversation before we stop taking chances at Coupon Cuts?

6:58 PM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger McPolack said...

Uhhhhhhh...yeah, I know. I have had many a shitty cheap haircut in the past. But this time might be different!...right?

Sigh. Perhaps I will call up Snarks and cancel.

7:34 PM, January 23, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, no. You can do this. You can break the vicious cycle.

Do it for both of us!

8:27 PM, January 23, 2006

 
Blogger Gil Martinez, RGD said...

You're slurpalicious anytime, but methinks you have to invest in the good haircut. It makes a big difference that interviewers will notice, and you will feel all fembotty with your big full hair and all. Dress for the job you want, as they say. Interviewers DO notice these things...

5:17 PM, January 24, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home