Wednesday, February 01, 2006

For Better

"No matter how lonely you get or how many birth announcements you receive, the trick is not to get frightened. There's nothing wrong with being alone."

This is a quote from Wendy Wasserstein's play, "Isn't It Romantic." She died this week, young. I remember seeing her name and her play "The Heidi Chronicles" bandied about when I was in high school. I always remembered her name, and the name of the play, although at the time the play came out it didn't apply to me, even remotely.

And even though her plays speak more to women born a generation before me, that quote above speaks to me. As do the choices I have in front of me as a woman now. I don't want to settle. I want to say when I get married, I really do, but it's if. If I get married it is going to be to a great person, the right person for me, and I'm going to be the right person for him. I'm not going to get married for the sake of being married, or just so I can have kids. I don't want it that badly. What I want badly is a good life, and to give of myself to the world the things I am supposed to.

I just got off the phone with OSB; she had her baby girl with her. She was alternately cooing to her, while talking to me. "I wish I had someone to fix you up with. But for better or for worse, everyone's paired off."

It's "for better" that I'm looking for.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home