Thursday, March 20, 2008

Meh

I need a change of some sort. I'm tired of being poor. Maybe it would be better to be poor somewhere else, where there are more trees. The trouble is, I think I ripped my bootstraps off the last time I pulled them up.

I miss the asparagus bed by the garden on the back forty at Babcia's house. And the rhubarb, which came up before the asparagus. But oh, the asparagus. You could almost watch it grow. Sometimes I would get down on my hands and knees and eat one directly from the ground, and that's the freshest vegetable I ever ate. I've also always been in awe of the root veggies. I think it's the neatest thing in the world that stuff you can eat grows underground away from the sun. Digging potatoes and carrots is like digging for buried treasure.

I'm reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It's about the year she and her family spent living off the land in West Virginia. I've always liked the idea of it. The only thing I'd have a real issue with would be meat. I know I can kill a fish and I think I could kill a chicken but when it came to a big, well, cow-eyed cow, that I'm not so sure about.

Anyhoo it's the first day of spring PLUS Mr. Roger's 80th birthday. I'm wearing a sweater to celebrate the latter. Mother Nature is celebrating the former with a whole lotta wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home