Wednesday, July 29, 2009

No, I do not have a minute

I wonder if the economy has anything to do with how g-d many college students there've been standing out on street corners lately asking passers-by if they have a minute for global warming, the environment, children, and the list goes on. They're always t-shirted and carrying clipboards. Yesterday I walked in the street to avoid one of them and she chased me down; it was all I could do not to snarl at her. WTF? Listen, I understand it's a public place and they have a job to do, but if someone is CLEARLY AVOIDING YOU perhaps it's best to take the hint, no?

Today at the farmer's market, where I got some plums that were, according to the sign by them, "sweet" but were more "mealy" than anything, so bye-bye 4 dollars, some kid wanted to know if I was interested in the environment. I said I wasn't. He kept bugging me! I don't know why I let myself get all bent out of shape over this, but I do. I do feel bad for these kids; it's tough to get crapped on all day. But I also wish they'd just leave me alone. I ran into two separate canvassers today on my walk home. And I am running out of nice.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Thursday said...

What I find works is, as they approach you, put your hand up in a "talk to the hand" sort of way and say Very Firmly "No, absolutely not. Go away". Occasionally I have to further it with a stop and "I said NO!" Perhaps it's my hard stare, school ma'am tone but it works.

4:47 PM, July 30, 2009

 

Post a Comment

<< Home