Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Holy awesomeness

Three things I discovered (or rediscovered) recently:

Vogelkep bowerbirds. They are amazing. The menfolk build bowers to attract ladies. Dang. I caught a short film on PBS about a woman from Massachusetts who travels to New Guinea to paint bowers. She also brings back samples (not all bowerbird-related) and gives them to Harvard. She said she especially likes that Charles Darwin noted the birds build the bowers in part because it gives them pleasure-as opposed to just attracting females-which the artist says is all most scientists will admit to. I think she is hoping to inject a little artsty-fartsy into oh-so-serious science. Go bowerbird lady!

Kathy Griffin. Her reality show keeps getting better. Right now she's hanging out in Alaska with Levi Johnston. LJ comes off as a really dirty bird. I can feel his skeev through the TV set. Thankfully I can also feel KG's greatness.

This book. It's amazing. I cried, a lot when I finished it, not because it's sad, but because it's beautiful.

2 Comments:

Blogger artquest1 said...

I don't know whether you've seen it, but if not check out:
FLYING CASANOVAS
It's put out by PBS and was a NOVA show, some time ago. Mine is an old VHS tape, but it's probably also available as a DVD - it's an hour show about Bower Birds from many different locations.
Bob

4:54 PM, July 05, 2010

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks!
-McP

10:16 AM, July 07, 2010

 

Post a Comment

<< Home